Heart Rhythm Community
supra-ventricular extrasystoles
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

supra-ventricular extrasystoles

Greetings everyone!

I have Marfan syndrome and have had an A-type aortic dissection at the age of 28, followed by an urgent surgery and was implanted an artificial aortic valve (Bentall surgery). I also have a "minor" mitral valve prolapse and minor mitral insufficience, otherwise my heart muscle and other valves are OK, just had an ultrasound a few weeks ago, at the age of 39. From the operation onward a very high gradient of 75 in the aortic valve was recorded, but doctors say it has nothing to do with the rhythm, which is my main problem. I have extremely frequent irregular beats, like: beat, pause, beat, pause, beat, beat, pause, pause, beat, pause, beat, beat, pause, pause... It is EXTREMELY bothering and it prevents me from having a relatively normal life. I admit am both a smoker and a pot smoker, but I point out that for about a year I haven't touched any of those (that was about a year and a half ago) and the symptoms just haven't disappeared. It was especially hard during the first few months after surgery, during that time I also did not touch any drugs, tobacco or alcohol (also for more than a year). Doctors tried to aleviate the problem with Bloxan and Xanax but they were ineffective, (I especially hated Xanax for making me feel drowsy) so after a while I quit taking them both. I was hospitalized several times after the initial surgery because of rhythm problems. But some year after the surgery the problem lessened to a degree that I only felt a few "jolts" a day so life became more or less normal, and I am also decently physically active, I walk a lot and I am up on my feet quite a lot during working hours. But I of course had to quit basketball and running and I never touch coffee or black tea and very rarely drink alcohol.
A month ago (being a smoker again for quite a few years now, both pot and tobacco) these supraventricular extrasystoles became intolerably frequent so I had to be hospitalized and these problems were recorded on a Holter monitor which registered both - very frequent supraventricular but also some ventricular extrasystoles. I was introduced Concor (another beta blocker) and, once again Xanax. After a week in a hospital the problem was, well, not solved, but the extrasystoles went back to the "normal" count of "a few per hour or per day". After a few days out of the hospital the problem reappeared quite violently and it just will not stop. Once again, I went to a cardiologist which now also measured a very high (for a marfan) BP of 146/88, so I was introduced Micardis to lower the pressure. Of course, the rhythm is still very irregular, eventhough I only smoke about 5 cigs a day and no pot at all. The doctors say the treatment they prescribed was the best they could do. Live with it, they say.
I dont want to sound like a whining child, but this is really destroying my sanity, I feel I'm going crazy because I REALLY feel each and every one of those irregular beats. I do not know how I will be able to work, if I already have problems sitting or lying down reading a book.
The problem is I come from a small country and there are not so many cardiologists around. The ones that treat you in the central public hospital also work after-hours in some private clinics, so there is virtually no chance of getting a second opinion elsewhere in the country and I can not afford going abroad which of course the health insurance will not cover.
I would be very grateful for any suggestions and help. Thank you.