Heart Rhythm Community
ubnormal heart beat

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

ubnormal heart beat

Heart rate. Hello, I am 22 years old female. I am an athlete with normal heart rate around 48 -54 beats per minute (have measured beats lowew, appr. 37 beats per minute). In I last three months I am aware of two nights during which i go to sleep and I wake up on an extermely strange heart rate. The beats are short, and terribily fast. Doing sports I know how to measure HR and also know what HR above 180 per minute feels, but what wakes me up is incomparable. It is so fast that I cannot measure it. It iseems that there is not  a full beat with it but rather some spasms. I have not have anything like this happening to me during the day or sports activity. Could you please tell me what it might be, what should I do? Thank you

I'm a bit confused here. Are you sure it is your heart beats you feel, or spasms / tremor from other muscles?

I've written a few posts and answers about a strange phenomenon, waking up at night with a strange "flutter" sensation in my chest or body, that actually doesn't correlate with my heart rate, and it's probably caused by other things.

If your heart rate is so high, that it's not comparable with a heart rate of 180, you would probably pass out (if it's considerably higher than 180). The fact that you only get this at night makes me question if it is your heart rate you feel.

Are you sure? Have you measured your pulse? Or is it just the sensation of a fluttering heart?
Thank you for your answer.

I am sure it is a heart. When I check my pulse on a wrist it is something very fast, and uncountable because it is not many fast beats but rather something without distinction of pulse. It is like a heart was in the spasm, it moves fast but it does not pump regular amount of blood. If it did pump a regular amount of blood very fast there would be a distinction between each beat
Do you get unwell? Lightheaded? About to faint?

You should see a doctor and get those events monitored with a Holter test (24-h ECG).
It's possibly atrial fibrillation, it's not uncommon in athletes.

If it's atrial fib, it's not life threatening, and it's fixable. It's very likely some kind of arrhythmia, you should see a doctor without too much delay I think.

Good luck, I hope I didn't scare you too much with this reply, but arrhythmias should be taken care of by professionals.
Thank you.
I will see a doctor about this. So far it happened twice and during the night. It wakes me up but I do not feel like I would pass out, maybe because I am not standing.
Thank you again.