Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
uncontrolled atrial fib with cardiomyopathy
About This Forum:

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

uncontrolled atrial fib with cardiomyopathy

My  58 year old spouse is on the max dosage of amiodorone, takes digoxin and a whole list of other things....the right atrium is enlarged and he was diagnosed 4-5 years ago....usually, when fib occurs, he can get back in rhythym with exercise.....recently he went into fib during exercise, and it sometimes lasts for 3-4 days, where it used to be a number of hours or part of a day.  We did do a conversion when first diagnosed but it did not "hold".
My questions:
He drinks alot of coffee....how much is too much?
He drinks alcohol daily....usually brandy or whiskey....I do not know the actual amount....I know NO alcohol is the recommendation....when do I "report" him to his cardiologist?  He won't let me come to the appts.
I believe he is depressed.....he will not deal with that.  Can it worsen the condition?
When is it time to visit Cleveland for ablation?  He states he will not even consider it until he's in fib more than 50%....I think he is approaching that.  We've talked with  an electrocardiophysiologist here...what my spouse needs is complex, involving many "firing" sites.
His mother has atrial fib, his dad died of a massive heart attack at 55.
He is type A.
He is on cholesterol meds.
I have done as much reading as I can and understand what can happen in the future....but what kind of reduction in life span could this mean?
Both brothers, younger and older, are hugely overweight, have drinking problems and hypertension.  My husband is six feet, about 230 pounds....we are careful with what we eat and he works out regularly, usually kayaking or on an elliptical. His younger sister is grossly overweight and has diabetes.
This is a source of great concern for me.....he will be angry with me if I contact his doc.
Thank you so much for any help you can give me,
One very worried wife