Heart Rhythm Community
what Asthma medications have the least effect on the heart?

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

I have recently been prescribed symbicort, but for some reason I read that corticosteroids are more widely used? Does anyone know whether long term acting beta agonists or cortisteroids are safer long term? What is safer on the heart? Also does xanax counter effect the high blood pressure etc. associated with asthma medicines?
Tags: symbicort
I looked up Symbicort online (WebMd had an excellent write up for example). I know the fast acting inhalers like albuterol can cause temporary increased heart rate (about 10-15 minutes). That's the one I use most often. Next comes the steroids (oral or inhaled) for asthma management. I've used beclomethasone in the past and that's helped. My kids have used prednisone (oral) a few times but I personally avoid that one.

From what I read about Symbicort, it's used when corticosteroids aren't working. It sounds like it's a last resort for asthma management. However, it can also cause increased blood pressure and arrhythmias in some people.

As for drug interactions, the best person to ask would be your pharmacist. They are the most informed when it comes to the chemistry of various medications and possible problems.
Yeah, that is what I thought, it was prescribed as last result,  that is weird because that  is the only inhaler my doctor prescribed, I am just going to quit it and stick to my emeergency inhaler ( been working for the past 5 years ) Any thoughts on this? I don't want to depend on something I have to take for the rest of my life at a certain time every day.
Before you stop taking the Symbicort, ask your doctor or pharmacist if there are any dangers or side effects of stopping it suddenly. I know a person should not stop steroids without weaning off. Not sure about this med.

Any explanation from your doctor why Symbicort was chosen? Perhaps a little nudge from the pharma companies? It happens. . . .
Misoitani is .. Comment
facts About Meat
Jul 31 by gymdandee
CARBS!
Jul 30 by gymdandee