what is wrong when everything goes dark?
What has happened to me - I was preparing to go to bed and all of a sudden everything went dark.  I found my way to bed by memory and lay down.  I saw shadows and got scared and just closed my eyes and surprizing I went to sleep.  when i woke up things were back to normal.   went to dr. he ordered mri of head and caroted artery and heart - all normal.  what happened?
How long did this last?  Was it dark or light in the room?  This is pure conjecture but it could have been a momentary drop in bp.  If I get up too fast from a sitting or stooped position everything will go black on me and it takes a good moment for it all to come back.  Sometimes when I am in the shower I will see stars after I bend down to get the soap or something.  Considering you had a clean mris it is likely you are OK but I would keep an eye on it.  I would also consider going and getting your eyes evaluated as well.  But all in all sometimes weird stuff happens and we never know what it was.  
I agree with Michelle -- an eye evaluation is in order.  Sometimes retinal problems can cause symptoms like these -- better safe than sorry.  Also seems to me migraines can have similar symptoms.  Good luck to you.