Heartburn Expert Forum
Could these be signs of a worsening hiatal hernia?

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Heartburn and include Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Medical Treatments, Surgical Treatments, and Symptoms.

Just to give some history I'll start off with some recent medical issues I have/had and the meds I take for those:

Acute Anxiety Disorder (150mg Zoloft, 150mg Wellbutrin)
HBP (HCTZ 50mg, Metoprolol 25mg)
GERD (Protonix 40mg)

I've had a pretty wide range of tests so far and recently had my gallbladder removed because doctor's seemed to think all my problems were from gallstones.

Ongoing for atleast 6 months I've had some bad indigestion, the feeling of food stuck in throat/esophagus at times, gurgling sensations from my stomach to my throat and anywhere in between, breathing trouble occasionally, excessive belching and gas, and at times my heart will race for a 15-45 minute period of time. These problems aren't always from a heavy meal but just certain foods that seem to trigger this indigestion. For example, I ate an apple this morning (the only thing I've ate so far) and it's been about 2 hours and I still feel like some of it may be caught in my throat. My heart started racing within 15-20 minutes after eating it. The only thing that seems to alleviate these symptoms is long belches/gas over a period of time and drinking a bunch of water.

When I sleep I am more comfortable sleeping on my stomach; some nights it's not possible because I have this bulging/bloating feeling in my upper stomach area (sternum area) that is so uncomfortable that I have to force myself to fall asleep on my back or side. Sometimes laying on my left side with my head propped up (most pressure in the abdominal area) I will get a shooting pain up the center of my chest.

So far I've had an EGD (small hiatal hernia, esophageal furrows), colonoscopy (fine), ultra sound (gallstones), EKG (fine), holter monitor (fine) and a complete metabolic blood test to check my digestive organs and such (all came back perfectly normal).

Having the gallbladder removed did help as far as neck/shoulder/back/abdominal pain I had been having but the indigestion is still very much an issue.
Sounds like GERD
Would suggest pH and manometry tests to confirm and grade severity of GERD
Good luck