Heartburn Expert Forum
General Surgeon or Gastroenterologist?

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Heartburn and include Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Medical Treatments, Surgical Treatments, and Symptoms.

General Surgeon or Gastroenterologist?

Do general surgeons handle some of the same issues a gastroenterologist would?  My primary care doctor actually referred me to a general surgeon for the stomach issues I was experiencing in November.  He first thought that I may have had an ulcer or gastritis and wanted to send me to him for an upper endoscopy.  Ended up not going to him for that but to have my gallbladder removed because I had a gallstone.  I'm still having many different symptoms and wonder if I should be going to a gastroenterologist or is it something that a general surgeon could also handle?  Current symptoms include: abdominal tenderness, burping, and hiccups on a daily basis.  Also having bouts of slight chest discomfort and back aches.
would suggest GI doctor rather than gen surgeon
My appointment with the gastroenterologist got canceled due to an emergency so it was another 3 week wait to get an appointment.  I'm tired of waiting so I call the general surgeon's office.  I'm having an upper endoscopy in a few days.  Hope this is something he can handle and doesn't end up having to refer me to a gastroenterologist.