Heartburn Expert Forum
Is my doctor missing something?

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Heartburn and include Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Medical Treatments, Surgical Treatments, and Symptoms.

Is my doctor missing something?

Please tell me what you think.

4 months ago I started vomiting in the morning after I would have orange juice and then at night after I would have had some wine. My tooth broke as well during this time. I was experiencing indigestion as well as common IBS symptoms. I went to the doctor and she gave me nexium. I took it for 6 weeks and didn't feel that it was working. I had stopped vomiting but that was because I had drastically changed my diet and started taking ant-acids like Gaviscon etc. She sent me for a blood test and it came back negative, I think it was to check for an ulcer.
I was still experiencing heart burn and tenderness in my stomach as well as pain underneath my breast bone so she gave me Pan-Pantoprazole, which I have been taking. I felt this worked better than nexium, however, shortly after starting it, I developed a chronic unproductive cough which reminds me of the time I had bronchitis. The cough is coupled with an itch in the throat and a noticeable hoarseness of voice. Each day my voice gets hoarser and hoarser, it sounds like it is just going away.
I don't get it. What do I have? And if it is GERD wouldn't I have been better by now?
It might indeed be GERD
A lot of ENT symptoms eg cough hoarseness of voice are due to underlying acid reflux
It sounds like you should undergo at least an endoscopy to rule out GERD - a pH and a manometry test might also be helpful
Try the PPI medication twice a day and see if that also helps
Good luck