Heartburn Expert Forum
Pain While Consuming Alcohol?

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Heartburn and include Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Medical Treatments, Surgical Treatments, and Symptoms.

Pain While Consuming Alcohol?

Hoping someone can help me figure this out.  I'm a 26 year old female who rarely drinks alcohol, maybe once every few months.  When I do it's usually a mixed drink like a daiquiri or margarita.  Well after finishing only one drink within 15-20 minutes I start experiencing somewhat severe pain in the upper portion of my abdomen, just under my breastbone, that radiates straight through to my back.  It feels somewhat like a cramp and is very uncomforable.  It usually goes away about 15-20 minutes after it started.  This has happened the last three times I've consumed a drink (August, December, and January).  After this last time I didn't feel very well for the next almost 2 weeks.  I had discomfort around the sternum area, would get full really fast after eating, and didn't have much of an appetite.  My doctor thought my symptoms could be related to acid reflux and possibly a hiatal hernia.  I did have my gallbladder removed 3 months ago due to a gallstone.  Currently I still have some achiness around my breastbone and my upper abdomen (sternum to just about navel) is somewhat tender when pressed on.  So I'm wondering if this sound more like to be a problem caused by reflux or could it be something to do with my pancreas?  Would you experience pain that quickly after drinking if the pancreas was involved?  I had taken PPIs for 6 weeks before stopping them last week.  I'm afraid to test things out and have a drink but would like to do so.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.
sounds like gerd or gastritis
take prilosec 0tc 20mg once or twice a day
double the dose if necessary
less likely to be pancreatitis due to alcohol BUT watch your alcohol intake none the less
good luck
Okay, so I stupidly had  a drink this evening and ended up in pain again.  I knew better than to have a drink but did anyway, just one drink though.  This time the pain was strictly in my back.  Right in the center  down below my shoulder blades. Like the area of my back that would be behind the sternum.  It started right as I was finishing my drink but was at the worst about 15-20 minutes later.  The pain lasted for about 20 minutes and then went away though my back still is aching but just very slightly hours later.  Feeling a tiny bity of nausea as well.  With the pain being in my back would that still make the reasons you listed possible as to why I'm having pain? Is this stomach related? Obviously it wasn't a wise decision for me to have a drink and I won't do it again since it's clearly aggravating something.  Thanks for your response.