Hemorrhoids Community
Abdominal pain and BM feel like razor blades

Hemorrhoids are swollen and inflamed veins around the anus or in the lower rectum. Discuss topics including external vs. internal hemorrhoids, hemorrhoid bleeding, hemorrhoid creams, symptoms and treatments for hemorrhoids.

I was diagnosed with hemorrhoids about 4 years ago.  The past few weeks I have had a lot of abdominal cramping pain and pressure.  When I have BM's it feels like I am passing razor blades and bright red blood is always present.  I went to my family doc 2 weeks ago because of an external protrusion.  She said it looked like an external hemorrhoid with a skin tag, but I can't get into to see the general surgeon for almost 4 weeks.  The abdominal pain is getting worse, I am having hot flashes (post partial hysterectomy 2003), blood is present on the toilet paper even without a BM and I am getting worried.  At 37 this seems abnormal...
Hi!

Bright red blood and mucus mixed with stool is a symptom of hemorrhoids. There are hemorrhoidal creams available in the market which you can apply. Sit in a tub of warm water for 10 mins at least twice a day. Increase fiber in your diet. Eat lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, oats, porridge etc. Good sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. In addition you can try bulk stool softener such as psyllium (Metamucil) or methylcellulose (Citrucel). Remember too much of fiber and not proportionate increase in fluid can also cause constipation.

All these methods can help you while you wait for your appointment with surgeon. You can also buy over the counter xylocaine jelly and apply it in your anal area before passing the stool. Ask your local doctor about this as some people are allergic to it. Take care!