Hemorrhoids Community
Chances of Infection in Proctoscopy

Hemorrhoids are swollen and inflamed veins around the anus or in the lower rectum. Discuss topics including external vs. internal hemorrhoids, hemorrhoid bleeding, hemorrhoid creams, symptoms and treatments for hemorrhoids.

Chances of Infection in Proctoscopy

Dear Sir,

I was advised Proctoscopy as i Had some issues related to Anal.. i was deteed with Grade-2 Hummoroids..
It was Semigovernment Hospital and i Think they were using same proctoscope for each patient...

As the proctoscope is dirtectly inserted into Anus, does it carry any risk of HIV infection assuming earlier patient was HIV positive.. The patient before me was old Lady and checked 10 miinutes before me.. While testing i am sure that the protoscope was covered with some lubrication..

I am worried much as Helth care conditions seened to be poor..

Pl. reply urgenly as i am dying out with Anxiety...

Regards,

Sanbhar
Hi and welcome. It is impossible that the Scope would carry hiv to your anus area. Even if they did not clean it after another person the virus could not survive sitting on the scope exposed to air and then rubbing a lubricant on it also would have washed anything off of the scope.

No matter if the was a semi gov hospital, they would not use an unsterilized tool on you. This is 2013 and all countries are aware of hygiene.
If you were in a hut somewhere out in the bora bora jungle and had this procedure, then maybe they would have used a dirty one.
Dont even worry about this.