Hemorrhoids Community
First time external hemorrhoid

Hemorrhoids are swollen and inflamed veins around the anus or in the lower rectum. Discuss topics including external vs. internal hemorrhoids, hemorrhoid bleeding, hemorrhoid creams, symptoms and treatments for hemorrhoids.

First time external hemorrhoid

So after having flu over the past few days I seem to have suddenly developed an external hemorrhoid :( I've never had one before, I'm 24 years old, fairly active, not at all overweight and with a healthy diet.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how long I should expect this to take before it goes away? I don't think it's thrombosed - it is a dark blue-ish, but it's not painful (yet), just a bit uncomfortable. I've been taking warm baths a few times a day, icing it, and using anusol. I'm also drinking a lot of water and making sure I get plenty of fibre.

From what I've been googling, people say they last anywhere from 2 days to about 3 months! It's about the size of a pea right now, and has been for the past couple of days. I'm going on a ski trip in a few weeks, and I really hope it's gone by then! Also, should I expect pain to start happening soon? or do they not always hurt?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi!
It may or may not be an external hemorrhoid.  
Without examining the lump, it is difficult to comment what it is. Here is a list of possibilities of what it could be. The lump could be a prolapsed hemorrhoid, a skin tag, a benign rectal tumor, a rectal polyp, a rectal abscess, genital wart or a hematoma. Please consult your doctor for confirmed diagnosis.
Take care!
I'm 25, healthy (besides an ovarian cyst), thin, active, high-fiber diet, no constipation, and I have the same thing! never had it before! from what I've been googling it seems like a hemarroid, but not at all painful or itchy. I too have just had a virus with flu like symptoms and abdominal pain/vomiting (intenstinal virus says my doctor) for about a week, but no straining for bowel movements or anything and tonight I notice this thing and I don't know what it is!!! Its a bit bigger than a pea, pink and red, but you can see purple from the blood inside, doesn't hurt at all and the vein looks too deep inside to ever bleed.

I am however just starting my period, and I do get rectal pains during this time of the month, but I thought it was due to my ovarian cyst, I've never noticed anything like this before!

What is going on?!!!!!