Hemorrhoids Community
Hemorrhoids

Hemorrhoids are swollen and inflamed veins around the anus or in the lower rectum. Discuss topics including external vs. internal hemorrhoids, hemorrhoid bleeding, hemorrhoid creams, symptoms and treatments for hemorrhoids.

Hemorrhoids

I've been suffering from hemorrhoids for the last two weeks (at least) and it's terribly painful. The cause may have been a long plane trip + long periods of time sitting down. I have tried all sorts of topical creams, they provide some relief but I see little improvement. I'm feeling very depressed and confused, I'm 35 y.o. and I don't know what to do. I have a medical appointment in three days. Any advice is more than welcome. Thanks in advance!
My heart goes out to you as I have internal and external hemorrhoids.  I would soak in a tub of warm water if possible several times daily.  Also, you may wish to buy a plastic sitz bath, fill with rather warm water and soak for 15 min.  Be sure to dry them well, but just pat them dry or use a hair drier.  A product called Calmoseptine works very well.  My colon rectal surgeon told me about this product when nothing else was working.  It is an ointment and stays on quite well.  I do understand your depression and confusion.  Do not allow yourself to become constipated.  I use Metamucil and 2 stool softeners daily.  I drink at least 8 glasses of water daily.
Thanks for your support, TheaT. This is all very new to me, I'm still surprised and confused. I never had hemorrhoids before and these past two weeks have been awful. I have to admit I'm not feeling very optimistic. If hemorrhoids are indeed easily treatable, then why are there so many cases of people who've had them for several years? Moreover, all available treatments seem extremely painful and not always effective. Tomorrow is the big day, I'm going to see the doctor, let's hope he can come up with a good solution.
Wishing you my best at your doctor's appt. tomorrow!  If your hemorrhoids are internal a colon specialist may well suggest banding them.  I have heard it is almost painless, you usually can go back to work right afterward and the hemorrhoid will drop off in a couple weeks, as it will not have a blood supply.  I should have done that long ago!  Now mine are to the point that only surgery, which I do not want, would probably solve the problem.  Let me know how your appt. goes!
UPDATE: It seems the problem is not hemorroids (hemorrhoids). I just returned from the doctor and he said something about skin injuries aggravated by sweat. Maybe that's good news. I'll try to get a second opinion, though.
That does sound like good news.  I suppose from the long plane trip, sitting and one would sweat in that area.  Did he say anything about wearing cotton underwear?  That will help!  Have you taken a peek to see if the skin in that area looks aggravated?  I am glad you are getting another opinion.  Be eager to hear what the doctor told you to do.
He simply told me to wash that area frequently with cold water and prescribed me a cream called QUATRIDERM (it's sold out here but I've ordered it online). I should have seen the doctor much earlier, the last 15 days were a complete waste of time. The bruises (which I thought were hemorroids (hemorrhoids)) on the skin no longer hurt and I am now able to sit properly - a simple band aid did the trick! - but I still have that anal fissure to deal with.
Speak of the devil... Last night I was in terrible pain. It was so bad, I could barely sleep. I used a hemorrhoid cream called FAKTU and it worked well: even though I don't have hemorrhoids, this cream always provides some relief. I have no idea what's really going on down there and I definitely need to get a second opinion, I never had lesions that hurt this bad.
I have never heard of Quatriderm or Faktu.  I cannot even guess why you had this terrible pain last night!  I didn't know you had an anal fissure.  Did the doctor just diagnose that?  Hope one of the creams give you some relief until you get a second opinion.  Also hoping you are going to see a colon rectal specialist!
I am surprised you weren't told to soak in warm water.
I am so sorry.  Hoping today will be a better day!
UPDATE: I'm glad to report that things have improved thanks to QUADRIDERM. Like I said, it's not hemorrhoids, it's merely an anal fissure that somehow seems to have gotten infected and caused several skin lesions around the anus. QUADRIDERM is sold out in my country but, following the doctor's advice, I'm using a combination of two different creams that have a similar effect. The pain is gone, the lesions are almost gone and, for the first time in three weeks, I am able to get some proper sleep. I should have seen the doctor much earlier, it would have spared me a lot of suffering. Self medication is always a risk.