I was awoken last night by a painful anus.
In the middle of the night, I was spontaneously awoken by pain in and around my anus...like I needed to have a bowel movement, I went to the bathroom and pushed but nothing came out.There was no constipation. Just an inflamed anus.

Pushing sort of made it feel better and I went back to bed. It eventually subsided.

I did urinate.

I've experienced the same sensation after sex and ejaculation sometimes; but, this is the first time it popped up on its own at night waking me up.

No stool, no blood, no hemmoroids. I am a 52 year old male, 160 lbs. What is causing this?
Hi and welcome. To properly diagnose this its best to see a doctor. If you dont have hemorrhoids it could be a strained muscle in your butt area. I have had the same happen to me a few times and it is quite painful. Improper lifting of heavy things can cause a muscle to rip or strain anywhere in your body