Hemorrhoids Community
Is it Hemorrhoids

Hemorrhoids are swollen and inflamed veins around the anus or in the lower rectum. Discuss topics including external vs. internal hemorrhoids, hemorrhoid bleeding, hemorrhoid creams, symptoms and treatments for hemorrhoids.

Is it Hemorrhoids

For the past few weeks I have had extremely uncomfortable anal itching. At first I attempted to wait it out and see if my immune system would handle it.  After about 2 weeks of it slowly getting worse, I did some research. At first I found anal itching to be caused by bacterial infection which, with cleaning, would go away. I determined this is not my case. After more research into the causes of anal itching, I found Hemarroids.

My Symptoms:

Anal itching ( mostly in the actual anus and some itching around the anus)

Itching occurred shortly after a bout of constipation in which extreme straining occurred

I developed a small, tender lump near the anal area. The lump does not itch.

Symptoms I do not have:

I do not sit around all day

There is no blood in my stool

There is no pain in the area, just very intense itching.

After buying and applying preparation H cream with Aloe Vera, the itching virtually stops.  At the first sign of another bout of itching, I reapply the cream. After doing research I have found that the preparation H is only a treatment and not a cure. Because I immediately reapply cream when I feel the itching will occur, I am not certain that the itching is just normal itching or caused by whatever condition I have.

Having given this information, my questions are:

Do I have hemorrhoids and if not, what could I possibly have and how do I cure it?

If it's determined I do have hemmoroids (hemorrhoids), what are actualy CURES , not treatments. ( I cannot find a single cure, just a bunch of treatments to relieve pain and itching.) ?

If at all possible I want to avoid going to the doctor but will if it's deemed there aren't any other options.

Hi!
For complete cure, the cause has to be found. Worms are the commonest cause of anal itch. Scratching repeatedly can cause sores. Itchy anus can also be due to undigested food like citrus fruits, grapes, certain spices, tomatoes, certain medicines like antibiotics and laxatives and certain drinks like beer, milk, tea, or coffee. IBS, Crohn’s and food intolerance should also be looked into. Anal fissures, hemorrhoids, threadworms can all cause anal itch. Itch can also be due to irritants like synthetic fiber, toiletries or fungal infection. Genital warts and sores of herpes should also be ruled out. Eczema, dermatitis and fungal infection can also cause this. You need to consult a skin specialist for confirmed diagnosis. Your PCP too can help run basic tests like stool examination and STD swab tests for herpes and genital warts.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!