Hemorrhoids Community
Pruritus ani
About This Community:

Hemorrhoids are swollen and inflamed veins around the anus or in the lower rectum. Discuss topics including external vs. internal hemorrhoids, hemorrhoid bleeding, hemorrhoid creams, symptoms and treatments for hemorrhoids.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pruritus ani

I am a 21 yr. old male and have a history of hemorrhoids. I had the banding procedure done about 6-8 months ago. I went to see a general surgeon 2 weeks ago because I was having rectal pain, discomfort and itching again. He told me I have pruritus ani. I was wondering if i shouldask to  have an anoscopy done when I return to see him for a follow-up in two weeks? I would rather have an anoscopy done before him telling me to have a colonoscopy done. Thanks!
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
Well yes, it is important to find the cause of pruritus ani or anal itch. Worms are the commonest cause of anal itch. This can be confirmed by a simple stool test. Itchy anus can also be due to undigested food like citrus fruits, grapes, certain spices, tomatoes, certain medicines like antibiotics and laxatives and certain drinks like beer, milk, tea, or coffee. IBS, Crohn’s and food intolerance should also be looked into. Anal fissures, hemorrhoids all cause anal itch. So yes an anoscope or proctoscope can be used to diagnose this. Itch can also be due to irritants like synthetic fiber, toiletries or fungal infection. Genital warts and sores of herpes should also be ruled out. Eczema, dermatitis and fungal infection can also cause this.  
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please discuss this with your treating doctor. Take care!
Blank
Thank you for your advise! This was very helpful!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hemorrhoids Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...