Hepatitis A Community
Amonia build-up and Lactulose

This community is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Hepatitis A. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hep A, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Amonia build-up and Lactulose

Just started taking lactulose after ammonia built up.  Will see doc in a week, but in meantime asking others who take it if this is permanent or just to clear out bowels and if changing diet including no red meat protein, etc. will allow me to not have to continue. Also others say to take Acidophilus - will this help?. Having much gas and diarrhea so far.  Liver panel last month was good and was at stage 2, so this all came out of left field.  Any feedback appreciated.  Thanks, Judy
It's just to clear it out --- yeah - if you're on TX - keep away from a lot of proteins --- it will provide ammonia... so you need to be careful.

Good luck.

PS> Lactulose is hard on my system -- gas and diarrhea yeah - no kidding -- but it's far better than the alternative.

Meki