Hepatitis A Community
Can you get Hepatitis A again??

This community is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Hepatitis A. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hep A, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Can you get Hepatitis A again??

If you had exposure to Hepatitis A in the past, is it possible to contract the disease again in the future?   I was talking to a nurse, and he mentioned that he had hepatitis A twice.  I was under the assumption that you can only contract hepatitis A once.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and welcome to the forum!
A person who has hepatitis A infection becomes immune to HAV for the rest of his life once he recovers. He cannot get hepatitis A twice. The blood test for immunity to hepatitis A is called the hepatitis A total antibody test. IgG antibodies are present in a person who has suffered from hepatitis A. You need to clarify your doubts with the nurse. Do write to us again with more queries. Hope it helps.
Regards!
Hello:

I got Hep A when I was 10 years old and now after 18 years I tested positive for Hep A Ab, IgM and my PCP told me I have an acute Hep A infection,, meaning that I got it twice. Hope this helps
I had Hep A when I was 25 and again when I was 50 . It is definity possible to have it twice ,even though the second time was milder it was still very unpleasant. hope this is useful to you
You can have any disease more that once, depending on what other problems you have with your immune system.  I have some problems with my immune system and I have had hepatitis A twice and chicken pox a total of 5 times.  In all the hepA and zoster cases, I was extremely ill and there was no doubt I had the diagnosed disease.  I know it sounds bizarre, but I do have a PhD in biochemistry and molecular genetics focused on virology, so believe me it is possible.  However, it is not typical for someone to contract these viral diseases more than once.