Hepatitis A Community
Can you get Hepatitis through digging through garbage?

This community is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Hepatitis A. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hep A, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Just a question. Don't ask me why. But I was digging through my own garbage last night. After I was done, I washed my hands and stuff. I woke up today and noticed a scratch on my left hand. Now is it possible I could get Hepatitis A, or any other Hepatitis? Because I read online Hepatitis A can be spread through handling of food. So if dirty food was in the garbage and I scratched myself could I get it that way? I feel really paranoid about this and I don't know what to think. I don't think I can get Hepatitis A, B, C? Am I right? I also don't know 100% sure that the scratch came from the garbage I could have gotten it somewhere else, and I don't remember blood coming out of my hand. I just want to be absolutely sure, so I can stop worrying about this. Because I don't know for sure. Please, help. Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
The most common way for the hepatitis A virus to spread is when an infected person does not wash his hands after using the bathroom and then touches food, a surface, or another person's mouth. In majority of cases it is transmitted through personal contact with an infected person. Hand washing is very important after handling garbage. Hepatitis B is transmitted through contaminated blood, sweat, tears, saliva, semen, saliva, vaginal secretions, menstrual blood and breast milk. It can be transmitted through blood transfusions, sexual contact, having tattoos or body piercing, from mother to child during childbirth; during medical procedures etc. HCV is spread primarily by blood-to-blood contact associated with intravenous drug use, poorly sterilized medical equipment and transfusions. There was no blood coming out so the chances of transmission are very less. Do consult a healthcare professional for examination and tests. Do write to me again.
Best wishes and regards!
I'll rule out hepatitis A then, I washed my hands thoroughly after handling garbage, even used dish wash soap. B, I'm thinking no one in my household has Hep B anyways, plus I don't think I got cut on the garbage, and even I did I don't think it was a item that had blood, sweat, tears, saliva etc in the garbage. Plus, I would have noticed the blood or scratch when I was washing my hands.

HCV is heck no, no transfusions, no blood to blood contact. I think I ruled it out in my head so I don't have to worry about it. It's every time I have to go into a public bathroom or worry about getting cut, I have to worry about it. I'm trying to rule it out in my head so I don't have to worry about it.

Do you think I should still take the test, or did I rule it out completely from what it sounds?