Hepatitis A Community
Diet / Treatment

This community is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Hepatitis A. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hep A, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Diet / Treatment

Hi!

I'm 20 years old and I was resently diagnosed with Hepatitis A in a hospital here in Bolivia, where I am currently living, and I was given a diet by my doctor. I was brought up in the States and I am not so confident about the medical attention recieved here, so I am turning to you for some advice concerning my illness. My given diet included a lot of sugar, absolutely no fat at all, no vegetables unless they are cooked and no fruits during the first days of treatment. My symptoms started thirteen days ago, then I was diagnosed 9 days ago for the first time, I was told of a possible stomach infection and given a certain antibiotic, that i took for 2 days. Before the antibiotics i took other medicine for flu care such as; Paracetamol, Tylenol and another related medicine. Only about seven days ago the Doctors realized I had Hepatisis A and immediately put me on the diet mentioned above. I am concerned about the medicine I have taken since I know it can damage the liver and I am also concerned about the diet I was given since I'm losing a lot of weight (about 12 pounds since my symptoms started). I would be very greatful for any advice that you could provide me with.