Hepatitis A Community
Hepatitis A vaccine question

This community is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Hepatitis A. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hep A, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hepatitis A vaccine question

Hepatitis A vaccine question

My wife's family lives in the Philippines, in a rural area.   A year ago one of her brother's contracted Hepatitis A--turned yellow, etc. .  We are wondering if vaccinating the other children against Hep A would be a good move --but is it too late?  Aren't they already exposed?  Would a vaccine still be helpful?  Would we want to do a blood test first to show if they already have been exposed?  If they have, would a vaccine still be of use, or would it be useless?
Avatar n tn
Rob,

It is a good idea to have kids vaccinated against both A and B, anyone with Hep C also should be vaccinated.  They may or may not have been exposed and may of may not have developed antibodies.  If you want, get a hep screen for them and see, else if it was me, yeah I'd get them vaccinated for both A and B.

BTW in Florida and I think most states these vacines are now mandatory for school kids.

Doug
vaccinate, I just did my second about 5 min ago, but can't hurt,and do all the good.