Hepatitis A Community
Hepatitis C

This community is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Hepatitis A. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hep A, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hepatitis C

Hello everyone,
I have just found out I have hepatitis C and was woundering if it;s curable?
Thanks for any and all input.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there!
Hepatitis C results in long term chronic infection in most of the cases. Genetic testing is done to check for the hepatitis C genotype. There are six genotypes .Detecting the type of genotype helps the doctor in choosing the right treatment .Genotypes 2 and 3 respond well to treatment while genotype 1 may take time to respond. Medications may help to reduce the risk of developing cirrhosis and liver cancer which are the commonest effects of long term HCV infection. Avoid alcohol and do not take any medication without consulting your doctor not even nutritional supplements. Get vaccinated against Hepatitis A and hepatitis B.Seek the opinion of a hepatologist.Hope it helps.
Best wishes!