Hepatitis A Community
Heptatitis A booster?

This community is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Hepatitis A. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hep A, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Heptatitis A booster?

i got my three hepatitis A vaccinations in 1994/1995. the first two were two weeks apart and the third was one year later. it was havrix.
i'm going to the south of india in april and am wondering if i need a booster shot or if the vaccine still works.
if a booster shot is recommended, how long would it extend my immunity?
thanks for your advice.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Havrix single dose should provide protection against hepatitis A for at least a year after the first dose. Nearly 100% of people will develop protective antibodies after a single dose but for long term protection two doses are necessary preferably between 6 and 12 months after the first vaccination, but it may be given up to 36 months after the first vaccination. When the two shots are given at an interval of 6 and 12 months the vaccine may provide immunity for at least 25 years. You will not receive any additional shots. I will advise you to consult a local health care provider and get your doubts clarified. Do keep us posted and write again with more queries. Hope it helps.
Best wishes!