How often for Hep A vaccine?
My husband has hep C, and was vaccinated about 5 years ago against Hep A and Hep B.  Does anyone know how often the Hep A vaccine should be repeated?  He travels frequently to foreign countries.
Hello and welcome!
Did your husband receive the combined vaccine available against hepatitis A and hepatitis B? For adults the dosage schedule of this combined vaccine is 0, 1 and 6 months. There is also a rapid schedule of 0, 7 and 21 days, followed by a fourth dose at 1 year. This is usually recommended for travelers .If he has been immunized separately for hepatitis A and hepatitis B then the schedule for hepatitis A is two doses. The second dose is usually given after 6-24 months of the first dose and is a booster dose. Hepatitis B is given as a 0, 1, 6 month schedule. Booster doses of hepatitis B are recommended only in those with weakened immune system or patients on haemodialysis.People with good immune function do not need booster doses. If your husband has completed these series he will not need any more vaccination. I do hope it helps.
Take care and good luck!