Hepatitis A Community
Jaundice

This community is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Hepatitis A. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hep A, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Jaundice

I had my gallbladderremoved about 2 weeks ago.  A fe days after surgery I developed jaundice andit is now over a week with non of the symptoms getting better.  I have the yellow skin and eyes, pale stools, dark urine and extreme itching.  It is mostly the itching that is driving me nuts.  Initally i was admitted bck to hospital to check for any blockages, but non was found.  My billirubin levelis extremely high and my liver function blood work shows that my liver is very sick.  My specialist said thatwe should ride it out and wait for the jaundice to go away, but another docter said in passing to me that if it continues like this I will have complete liver failure in two weeks and that I sould be in the ICU.  I have loss of appitite, am constantly thursty and very very tired all the time.  No real pain to speak of......just the normal tenderness after sugery I guess and still bloating/sweling of my abdomen.  Where to next??  I am on no meds for anything and getting liver function tests done every 2 or 3 days.  Doesthis show that everything is fine or just that my docs don't know what is going on exactly??  I have lost my faith in the medical guys a little as they also said with tests that i had a perfectly normal healthy gallbladder 3 days before i had eergency surgery to remove my infected gallbladder with about 16 stones trapped in the ducts.