Hepatitis A Community
Obstructive Jaundice?

This community is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Hepatitis A. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hep A, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Obstructive Jaundice?

I'm 22 years male. 2 weeks ago my Billirubin level was 10.47 alongwith SGPT 2570 & SGOT 1740.
Now Billirubin is 5.21 with SGPT 110.
However, some symptoms of the disease like loss of appetite and yellow colouration in urine still remain.
Could this be a case of obstructive jaundice?
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there,
Obstructive jaundice is caused by an obstruction in the bile flow. In obstructive jaundice the stools are pale or clay-coloured; there is bilirubin in urine with little or no urobilinogen. There are high blood levels of conjugated bilirubin and very high alkaline phosphatase .The transaminases are normal. Your values show a decreasing trend. Did you get the hepatitis profile done to know what virus is causing the hepatitis? Discuss your concerns with your treating doctor. A complete evaluation is important for determining the exact cause. Write to me again on how you are doing.
Best wishes and regards!
Thanks a lot Ma'm. I did not have the virus profiling done but I think it must be Hep A or E, since now after 4 weeks, the Billirubin is at 2.75 with SGPT 77. So I think it's pretty much on the recovery route. For how much more time do you reckon that care must be taken. Moreover, I've heard that Jaundice has a tendency to return back & in much severe manner. Is it true?