Hepatitis A Community
Please help!!!!!

This community is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Hepatitis A. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hep A, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Please help!!!!!

How far can Lamivudine help one with Hepatitis A?  My husband has it and it doesn't seem to go after 5 years of diagnosis and treatments.  They keep saying it never seems to leave the blood.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello!
There are no specific medicines to cure infection with hepatitis A. Most people require no treatment except to relieve symptoms. I think your husband is possibly suffering from hepatitis B.Hepatitis B causes a chronic infection and lamivudine is used in this condition. It is usually indicated in those whose infection may lead to fulminant hepatitis or in immnuocompromised people. It is also used to reduce the risk of cirrhosis and liver cancer. Chronically infected individuals with persistently elevated SGPT and HBV DNA levels are usually considered for starting antiretroviral therapy. Treatment usually is given for six months to a year, depending on medication and genotype. Discuss your concerns with his treating doctor. Do write to us again with more information.
Good luck!