Possible Hepatitis A Contact-Sewage Exposure
Hey everyone, I have a few questions, hopefully you can answer them. I went on a field trip with some other college students to a waste water treatment plant a month ago. I tried my best to not touch things but my hands did touch some doors and guard rails. I washed my clothes but I took off my glasses and watch with my dirty hands. How effectively do I have to clean them? I've "quarantined" them for a month now and I figure that hepatitis is the last organism potentially alive on them.

How long will hepatitis A remain on these items and possibly clothes?

What do I need to use to inactivate/kill the virus?

Am I just being nuts?

Thanks for any help you can offer me. I'm just tired of not having my watch on me all the time.
Hi there,
Hepatitis A viruses can live, undisturbed on surfaces outside a host cell for quite a long time. If there are suitable conditions, it can survive outside the body for months. The transfer of the infectious virus can easily occur on casual contact between hands and environmental surfaces. Few strains of HAV are susceptible to inactivation by chemical germicides and other chemical and physical agents. Vaccines for hepatitis A are available which provide long-term protection. Do consult a doctor for more queries and assistance. I hope it helps.
Take care and regards!