Hepatitis A Community
Understanding test results

This community is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Hepatitis A. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hep A, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Understanding test results

I am a very active 49 year old woman who exercises regularly and is very healthy in general. About 2 months ago I began feeling very fatigued so much as my exercising decreased dramatically and I began feeling gassy and nauseated every time I ate. I went to the doctor who requested routine blood work done and found I had high liver enzymes. I also had high calcium. I underwent an ultrasound of my liver which didn't show any issue with the liver but it did show sludge in my gallbladder. With these results, my doctor requested more blood work to include testing for Hepatitis, ANA IFA, Iron, Ceruloplasmin, Ferritin, Mitochondrial Antibody, and Actin. The results show High ALT (SGPT) of 89, Positive for Anti-HAV (Hepatitis A), and Positive for Mitochondrial Ab with a Titer of 1:640. It states that I either have acute Hepatitis A or immunity to Hepatitis A by previous infection or vaccination. I have never received the vaccine so I can only assume I contracted Hep A at some point. I was very sick the beginning of the year and had gone to a quick care facility where they diagnosed me with Infuenza. It took about 4 weeks to start feeling better only after them prescribing me Z-pac antibiotics. I'm very rarely ill and this one really did a number on me barely being able to get up to get a drink of water. I heard that Hepatitis A will give you flu like symptoms. Do you think this is what possibly I acquired and the recent lack of energy and nausea I am now experiencing is a biproduct of it? What does the results of the Mitochondrial mean and how does it relate to Hepatitis A? I have an appointment with my doctor next week and would like to know what kind of questions I should be prepared to ask. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.