Hepatitis A Community
care giver chances of catching hep c

This community is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Hepatitis A. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hep A, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

care giver chances of catching hep c

I have been a care giver to my cousin for the past several years who has Hep C. Last week, on Feb 6 he underwent transplant. We were relieved and afraid equally. He did really well over the surgery but it was a very long week for me, no sleep, extreme worry, high anxiety, etc. He did so well from the surgery they released him on Monday after the surgery. We came to a motel since we live in a remote area and I assumed all care giving at that time, checking his vitals every two hours around the clock. I was exhausted but happy to do it to save his life. Last Friday I did have to leave his care in the hands of his reluctant brother to attend to my own health and admittedly I needed a mini break. At any rate, my doctor did routine blood work and then today I get several voice mails insisting I call back ASAP. They had even called my ex husband leaving messages it was urgent I call their office. Finally, I returned the call. They said my liver enzymes were elevated and this wasn't something I could put off. They actually wanted me to come in today to get more blood work done and were empatic that this wasn't something I should put off. I agreed to come in the morning. I have known my doctor a long time. They don't call you in after blood work normally even if something is wrong. My question is...could I have possibly contracted the hep c just from being a caregiver? I don't drink at all so I know that's not the cause. I have never used needle drugs or had any transfusion's...but I admit I am afraid. I have read many things can cause elevated liver enzymes but none of them seem to apply to me. I don't take Tylenol or any other over the counter meds. I do take Celebrex but that is all. .Im very worried and would appreciate anu input and advicel
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, yes it is possible. If your cousin was carrying the virus, you can get infected. At the hospital prior to the transplant, they would have done the battery of tests. Check the results to see if he has tested positive for the virus. Either way follow up with your doctor and good luck. Regards.