hepatits a vaccine
vg
My daughters and I are traveling to Mexico in November and I am wondering if we should receive a hepatitis a vaccine.  The area we are staying at is very poor and the water is not safe to drink.  The food we will be eating is washed with water that has bleach added to it.  

Are there any side affects, short term or long term, to this vaccine?  We will only be able to receive one dosage before we leave.  Will that be effective?
Hello!
You should definitely be taking hepatitis A vaccine before leaving. It is advisable to take the first shot of hepatitis A vaccine as soon as possible. Most of the people will develop protective antibodies after a single dose but for long term protection two doses are necessary. For travelers, it is advisable to start the vaccine series at least one month before traveling. Some protection may still result if the vaccine is given on or closer to the travel date. This vaccine is generally very safe and does not cause any serious side effects. Discuss all your concerns with a local health care provider. I hope you find this information useful.
Best wishes!