high blood iron
Hello, I am a 46 year old female that has had two high iron blood tests.  Last year the level was 183 (35-155 range) and this year it is 169 (35-155) range.  Last year the doctor thought it was because of a high iron meal I consumed the night before, but this year I did not eat a high iron meal beforehand and it is still high.  Also the hematocrit is slightly high as well.  Do you think that this could be hemochromatosis?  Your thoughts are appreciated
What are the symptoms you have been having? Haemochromatosis causes weakness, fatigue, and pain in the right hypochondrium near the liver. A high dietary intake of iron, alcohol intake, multiple blood transfusions and hemolytic anemia can lead to high iron levels. Serum iron levels fluctuate during the day so it is preferred that the test should be done fasting. Other tests like trnasferrin saturation and TIBC may be needed. Liver biopsy to measure iron content of liver tissue confirms the diagnosis. Seek the opinion of hepatologist.Do keep us posted.
Take care!

Thank you for your comment.  I did not have any symptoms so was unsure why it was high for two years in a row.  I was tested for heamochromatosis and was negative.  So, was advised to donate blood once or twice a year to keep iron level down in the normal range.