treatment Hepatitis A
My 80 year old grandmother has presented with the following symptoms; diarrhea, jaundice and swollen stomach for about one  month.  We recently admitted her to the hospital where she has been for 2 weeks now.  A number of test were completed: liver biopsy (haven't recieved results); pancreas biopsy (negative); cat-scan of pancreas (showed a dark mass; colonoscopy (negative) and her last test was hepatitis (diagnosed with hepatitis A).  My family and I are concerned about catching this virus and have heard a number of different responses.  Is it contagious?  Additionally, we would like to know what we can do to treat it? We were told that there is nothing to treat it, is this true.  What types of foods can she have?  Are there any that she should stay away from?
Hi there!
Hepatitis A is transmitted through ingestion of food or drinks contaminated with stool from an infected person, very rarely through blood transfusions and anal or oral sex. A person is usually infectious in the early stages of incubation period and remains so after a week of developing jaundice. There is no specific treatment advised for this condition. Bed rest and maintaining good hydration should help. A strict no fat diet is recommended. Avoid oily greasy and fried foods. For preventing transmission in other family members from 12 months to 40 years it is advisable to get vaccinated against hepatitis A if not taken the vaccine. Hope it helps. Good luck!