Hepatitis Autoimmune Community
AST 500+ while ALT is normal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to autoimmune hepatitis.

AST 500+ while ALT is normal

I'm a 41 year old healthy female.  I take meds for my asthma, allergies, and thyroid, but I feel great and live a healthy active lifestyle. However, I sometimes worry about what appears to be a symptomless potentially very serious problem, my AST is over 500 and it's stayed this high for years.  

My general care doctor ran a liver enzyme test as part of a routine physical exam years ago.  The results of the test showed my AST over 500 and my ALT completely within normal range. We repeated the test several times over the years and it always shows an AST over 500 and a normal ALT.  Weird and a bit scary.

As a result, I've been though all sorts of stuff.  I've been to the University of Michigan.  They are all stumped, I've had a liver biopsy that showed no abnormality, I've been to numerous endocrinologists, hepatologists, and internal medicine doctors.  Each has been alarmed by the test results and expressed the potential severity of such an extremely high AST.  Yet, after running tests, no one can pin point a reason.  

I'd like to prevent any problems that may be developing.  I often hear that when things are caught early you have a better chance of fixing the problem, but to this point no one can seem to identify it.  Each has told me to return when/if symptoms appear, thus implying something is wrong and we can't help you until it gets worse.  As you can imagine, this answer doesn't sit well with me. So ever year or two, I go and see a new doctor who expresses great concern, and ultimately ends up suggesting I come back when "it" gets worse.  Heck, I don't even know what type of symptoms to watch for, or even which part of my body they may develop in.  How do I know if an ache or pain is normal aging, or a symptom that might give the doctor the clues they need?

Is there any expert out there that may have an idea of what this means, or even what to test or look for?  Is there anyone out there with the same strange numbers?  I'd love to put this to rest once and for all.  I want to live a long healthy life without this threat hanging over me.