Hepatitis Autoimmune Community
Autoimmunie Hepatitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to autoimmune hepatitis.

Autoimmunie Hepatitis

I have a 16 old son that has had elevated liver enzymes, positive ANA, and high positive ASMA. He had a liver biopsy done and it came back normal (disputing Autoimmune Hepatitis).
My question is does the normal liver biopsy mean that my son doesn't have Autoimmune Hepatitis or that he does have it and there has been no damage done to his liver yet???  Confused as to why the labs are suggesting AIH and the liver biopsy disputes it. My son was also diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis about 2 years ago.
Wow, you're post was from quite awhile ago! I am no expert in these matters. I am an RN who worked in the ICU for years, but now stays home with my babies. I just found out my labwork indicates autoimmune hepatitis (ana and positive asma) but waiting to go back to doctor. From my own research I will try to answer your question...
The AIH can certainly go along with other disorders such as ulceritive colitis. I would think you are right that his body is producing the antibodies against his liver which is indicative of AIH (along with the ana). But the liver biopsy shows that no damage is done right now. I guess be thankful that there is no damage and conclusive evidence that it's actually actively harming his liver! Then keep it in mind to have rechecked or looked into in the future!
My daughter had a similar biopsy result but they concluded it was AIH afterall and she is being treated now. Her liver enzymes are back to normal after 4 months of treatment (prednisone and Imuran) which we expect will continue. The explanation we have been given is that a biopsy only grabs a certain section of tissue so it could have missed the damaged area or you could have caught it early enough---before damage was done. The liver is the largest organ in our body so it is not impossible to miss something via biopsy. Good luck to your son.