Is this Autoimmune Hepatitis?!!
I am not able to get into my rheumatologist until July. But I had called and asked for the lab results to be mailed to me. I don't know if that was a good idea because now I'm really worried. I have an ANA of 1:1280 (centromere pattern) and positive ASMA (I think that's right for antismooth muscle antibody.) The titer for ASMA is 1:40. Does this mean I have autoimmune hepatitis?!
I should mention that I have had GI problems for many years and finally sought answers about 2 years ago. The doctor thought at the time gall bladder or IBS and did an abdominal ultrasound which was fine (no gall stones). I get bloated after I each very much and have a decreased appetite along with it. I have a tender spot in my right upper abdomen as well. I don't know if it's related but I have daily leg aches for several months too.
Is a liver biopsy necessary to be able to tell what is really going on?
Yes. A biopsy is the only way to get a 100% diagnosis of AIH. I have been diagnosed for 6 years and it is a long process be stay positive!
Thank you for your answer! I'm sorry to hear you do have it. I can imagine that it's hard to stay positive. Just having known it is probable for me for the last several days I must admit very scary! I'm back to mostly denial until I know for sure:)