Hepatitis Autoimmune Community
Joint pain and prednisone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to autoimmune hepatitis.

Joint pain and prednisone

I've been slowly coming off of prednisoe for the past couple months and my joint pain has returned.  I get blood drawn tomorrow but I was wondering how common if it is common to get joint pain when coming off of the prednisone?  I'm not too worried.  I was just wondering.
When I came off it, my joint pain returned and my rheumy said that was normal and was 'probably' a side effect from the withdrawl (withdrawal). He said it should go away a few weeks after being totally off the pred. I hope this is true for you.

Erin
The issue for me is that I have had this joint pain before the AIH dx.  I have been off of prednizone for 4 - 6 months and it is still a problem.  I am on AZA and hate it.
Don't care for any of these medications, i.e. predn, aza, imuran, etc.  Does anyone have any answers as to the reason for the arthritic pains in morning?  ANy help would be appreciated.  

Desperate
helponhep
Taking prednisone can cause severe loss of bone mass, therefore causiing joint pains and possibly osteoporasis.  I treated unsuccessfully twice, second time had to be put on large dosages of prednisone to rebuild my red blood from dropping to 4 while on treatment.  I have so much joint pains, esp. in my hands and knees.  My hands are so weak and painful I can barely use them.  I noticed my knuckles getting larger, but had not thought it could be RA.  I wonder why my hepatologist has not thought of this???  I complain to him about my joint pain and weakness all the time.  Also, I now have a severe case of osteoporasis and am taking Fosomax - 70mcg weekly.  It was my hormone doctor that discovered this.  I pray for a good doctor who doesn't think I'm just a "complainer" and hypochrondiac.  I would love to have a doctor who really cares about me and understands what I am going through.  I'm on my 5th doctor since being diagnosed in 2003.  I have treated twice and relapsed both times, terrible sides resulting in lengthy hospital stays.  Please keep me in your prayers as I will do the same for you.

SharonB