Hepatitis Autoimmune Community
Prednisone withdrawal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to autoimmune hepatitis.

Prednisone withdrawal

In October 2008, I was put on 60mg of Prednisone after liver biopsy revealed a rapid progression from an earlier biopsy, I now had non-alcoholic cirrhosis. In March 2009 at the Mayo Clinic I was diagnosed with AIH (autoimmune hepatitis) with non-alcoholic cirrhosis. I was placed on 50mg of Imuran, which was adjusted to 100mg and my Prednisone was gradually reduced 10mg.  In September 2010 my Prednisone was being reduced by 2.5 every 6 weeks. When I got down to 5mg, I noticed achiness about 4 days after reducing the dosage. I then was lowered to 2.5mg, this time all my joints began to hurt, muscles felt a little weak and some fatigue returned. I will consult with my hepatologist this week. My question is whether this is temporary or will I have to up the Prednisone.  
Should be temporary. I had the same thing upon weaning down to 5 mg prednisone, started at 60 mg and by 5 mg lots of aches/pains. Took a few wks but eventually the aches ceased. Hope you're doing well on the Imuran - it's working excellently for me. Hate prednisone's side effects!