Hepatitis Autoimmune Community
autoimmune hepatitis ? plz answer !!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to autoimmune hepatitis.

autoimmune hepatitis ? plz answer !!!!

if  ANA is negative,
and LKM is also negative

but SAMA is positive 1\40

and liver enzymes are elevated ,

i have then autoimmune hepatitis ??????
Back in 1991 I had a ANA reading of 1:160. After futher testing nothing else was positive and the ANA returned to normal. In 2002 liver enzymes began to rise, finally reaching 350+. First thought was fatty liver after liver biopsy. I was followed for year. In 2009 liver biopsy show chirrhosis. I was started on 60mg prednisone. More blood work this time SMA was elevated. I eventually ended up with a hepatologist at Mayo Clinic. After more testing and the fact that the prednisone was bringing down the LFT"s, I was diagnosed with AIH (autoimmune hepatits). So,  suggest you see a hepatologist and get evaluated. Not all my tests and symptoms appeared at the same time.
I had slightly elevated liver enzymes in 1994 but none of my doctors seemed to care and I had no clue what that meant. Fast forward 9 years and they were still elevated so they figured it was gall stones and took out the gall bladder, they went down slightly and then back up so they did an ERCP and enlarged the bile duct opening into the small intestine.  Again the levels dropped and went even higher so they did every possible blood test they could and the only thing that wasn't what it should be was my liver enzymes.  So they decided to do a liver biopsy.  It only showed that the liver was enflamed but no other "markers".  The GI doctor I was seeing was of no help in diagnosing anything.  It took seeing one of the best, if not the best Hepatologist in my state to finally get a diagnosis and he said it was autoimmune hepatitis and treated it with prednisone and imuran.  

All that to say you may not have any of the markers they are looking for but still have autoimmune hepatitis so make sure you see a good hepatologist that knows what he is doing.