Hepatitis B Community
NOW REALLY CONFUSED AND SCARED

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

NOW REALLY CONFUSED AND SCARED

ORIGINAL QUESTION::::
OK Here we go...

I was first exposed to HEP B from a Chronic carrier in August 2013.  Then again at the end of last month.  We found out that he was Chronic and I immediatly went to get tested.  Big suprise I tested poitive for Surface Antigen and Negative for Antibodies.  I then had further tests done and this is where I and the nurse got confused.

Hep B Surface Antigen- Positive
Hep B Surface Antibody- Negative
Hep BE Antigen- Positive
Liver Panel all in range
Hep B Core Antibody- Negative- this is where the nurse told me she couldn't understand.

The two tests were done about a week apart and from all I have read I most likely was infected in August  due to the timelines of when the antigen shows up in your system.

I have no idea why the liver panel would be OK and my Core Antibody be negative.  

I am sitting and trying to search the web for any and all details yet I am confusing myself.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Further results came in:

My core Igm and Igg were both negative...Nurse said it could be a sign I have HIV please tell me this is her jumping to the extreme..or there is another possibility both would come back negative.
I am going today for further blood work to re-do liver test and core Igm and Igg to make sure they are true negatives.  Also have an HIV test done.  I am hoping she is sooo wrong. I am grasping at straws here anyone?????

thank you I know this is a long read but I am scared.
Tags: Now truely scared HEP. B
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, from the results it appears that you have hepatitis B infection. Chronic hepatitis B is a spectrum of disease usually characterised by the presence of detectable hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) in the blood or serum for longer than six months. Those who are HBsAg-positive and HBeAg-positive are infectious. Regards.