A question regarding HBV hepatoprotective medicines
Hi, guys.

I have a question regarding HBV. As far as I know when someone becomes infected with HBV he/she has bigger chances for full recovery if the immune response is stronger. I am not sure if the immune response correlates with the symptoms (I know that there are symptoms only in 30%-40% of the cases), but my understanding is that people who have stronger symptoms, have better immune response and therefore bigger chance for full recovery. OK, say someone is still in the window period and suspects a possible HBV infection which is impossible to be detected at that point, simply because it is too early. If that person decide to act and take some hepatoprotective pills such as Essentiale Forete for instance....does this hepatoprotective medicine make the chances for a good immune response lower? I know these hepatoprotective pills are prescribed for a better recovery for someone who has tested positive for the HBsAg. But my question really concerns taking it in advance and the possible effects.

Thanks a lot in advance.
the immune system is driven by the virus and you cannot change it unless you use antivirals like tenofovir or entecavir for 3-5 years, this rescue cd8 immune response and then add on peginterferon to rescue nk cells too, then most patients go on and clear hbv by immune system recovery, all the rest is useless for this
we are talking only of new borns without an immune system, these are the only one not clearing hbv

adults all clear hbv
Grazie, stef2011,

You said "adults all clear hbv". From what I've read it is actually 95% of the adults who clear it, not all.

From your words however I understand taking hepato-protective medicines does not reflect on the immune response, so anyone could do it as a form of treatment.
From what I've read it is actually 95% of the adults who clear it, not all.

you just read this, there was no study to back up this at all, they could not find enough patients to do it because there were none.this year a first big study could do it and they found 2.8% if you had error statistics.......

From your words however I understand taking hepato-protective medicines does not reflect on the immune response

not against hbv at all, for this as i posted you need immune modulators like peginterferon