Hepatitis B Community
ALT and AST

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

ALT and AST

Guys,

Does anyone know the normal ALT range? Unless ALT is only tested in patients with liver disease there must be some sort of stat to and within a range, an individual that does not suffer with anything would fall into...

Also whats the difference between ALT and AST really? I have tried readin up on this but can make no sense except AST is usually done for Hep C patients... Is this correct?
ALT range?

17-45

Also whats the difference between ALT and AST really?

--Different enzymes both relating liver function.
actually most labs state the range from 5-55

maybe the mean valuye of the range is 17-45 but they always stated 5-55 as average between the low and high
Is this 17-45 range for Hep sufferers only?

Would a normal person not have any ALT at all...

Thanks guys.
Also as my last ALT was 21 and the prev 20, does that mean i have nothing at all to worry about?
for sure it does. do not worry mate.. normal range here in ITA 5-55
Even by the newer standards of the upper limit of normal being 19 for women and 30 for men your ALT is is good shape.  Its been years since I've seen a number that low.
Despite the decent ALT results i don't believe i get an actual reading for AST... Is this gonna hinder me from knowing the full scale of my HBV?
No, typically AST isn't as important.  It can become important if weird things start happening with the ALT/AST ratio but I don't think that's something you need to worry about.