Hepatitis B Community
ARC-520 HK: It has started

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

ARC-520 HK: It has started

We visited doctor in Hong Kong. The doctor said the ARC 520 trial "has started". That's the only update we got from him. He said it is "too early to try on", surely we didn't have intention to participate in the trial after all.

Anyways, hope this news helps the community guys here.
To elaborate: when he said the thing is "too early to try on" it means us, because my wife has <1000 copies/ml dna, close to normal ALT/AST and low HBsAg about 500 IU/ml. Not exactly his attitude toward the new therapy I think.

Here is the doctor's recommendation to her, for your guys opinion here. As a quick recap she e-seroconverted one month after we discovered her activation of HBV with e+ and 5 log DNA, HBsAg 1100 IU/ml. So now she's e-, <1000 copies/ml DNA (old machine), close to normal ALT/AST.

The doctor is a very well respected one in HK, just as a backdrop..

The doctor firstly said he does not recommend peg interferon. He said I may have read some western research but his experience with Asian patients was that peg (I think he mentioned 2alpha to be specific) has been of little use, and big side effects.

After he said there's no nucs need for now and I expressed my concern that she may develop reactivate e- HB during 2nd pregnancy due to immune suppression, he said we should keep track of DNA during 2nd pregnancy and add nucs if it bounces. The issue is that she's not on any drugs and I don't want her on nucs if can avoid it. Guess there's no perfect way for this concern.

He re-affirmed that "current drugs are very good enough, so do not suggest interferon". He said normally would gave us ETV if needed, but given we want a second child, he would gave us Tenofovir if needed. Anyways, no nucs required now.

Appreciate any comments from you guys, thanks!
Thank you for the update and good news about ARC520. Did you ask the doctor about your wife's nausea? Hope she is over it by now.

Interferon is certainly contraindicated if you are considering an addition to the family.  Normally you have to wait 6 months after completing IFN treatment before you try having a baby.

The re activation of her Hepatitis does not necessary happen, Many women prefer not to be on any medication, and some doctors would agree, as precaution, during the first trimester. Tenofovir has been shown to be safe to be taken throughout pregnancy.

As for trying IFN to see if it can achieve a cure, maybe you can re-visit the issue later and see whether her qHBsaq continues to fall in the meantime.

All the best and thank you once again for the news about ARC520.
Thank you shawshank for your update,just keep informing
Stephen,

Thanks for your explanation. We did not ask about the nausea, since it has faded away lately. We'll get the blood test result 2 weeks later, see how it goes. Doctor declined to comment whether HbsAg would keep going down though.
Is entecavir dangerous to take during pregnancy?  Should my wife switch to tenofovir now just in case we decide to get pregnant or in case of an accidental pregnancy?