Hepatitis B Community
Anti Bodies to Hbc Ag

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Anti Bodies to Hbc Ag

I recently donated blood to Red Cross. After 15 days, I got report like this:

HB Surface Ag - NEG
Antibodies to HBc Ag (Anti-HBC, IgG and IgM) - POS
HBV Nucleic Acid Test - NEG
Antibodies to HBC - NEG

HTLV-I/II Antibodies - NEG

I am worried and confused. I don't know what I have. Does this report says I am having Hepatitis B ?? Please advise. I am unable to concentrate on my work.
The Below Originally came from somewhere on medhelp, (I think it was in the ask a Dr Section)but when I originally put it in notepad, I didn't keep the link! So I didn't write this!

I'm sure some of the more informative ones will check in in the morning & can help you further! In The meantime I hope this helps some!
***********************************************************

People make antibodies to hepatitis B if they are exposed to this virus and they can make different antibodies to different parts of the virus depending upon their immune systems. Almost everyone who is exposed to hepatitis B makes antibodies to the core part of the hepatitis B virus and we call this HbcAb or anti-HBc.

Things can get a little more complicated from here. Humans make two types of antibodies when they are exposed to a virus or bacteria. One is called the IgM antibody and the other is called the IgG antibody. When some one is exposed to a virus for the first time, they tend to make the IgM type antibody. About a month after the exposure, they make a second wave of antibody called the IgG. The IgG antibody tends to be more specific and powerful and it is the antibody that sticks around and gives extended or life-long immunity.

So anyone who is exposed to hepatitis B will have "anti-HBc" antibody, but many people feel that anti-HBc IgM is good test for a recent hepatitis B infection or exposure. The only problem, however, is that some individuals with hepatitis B can maintain high levels of anti-HBc for an extended period of time. In addition, some people who have had hepatitis B for years can go through periods where the hepatitis B acts up a little. We sometimes call this "reactivation". During these periods of reactivation, high levels of anti-HBc can become present again.
It looks to me like you need to be tested for HepC RNA. Inother words, do you have virus in your blood and not just the antibodies.
This is a confirmatory test for someone with your lab profile.
My blood was tested for hcv antibodies and I got results as follows:

HEPATIS C VIRUS ANTIBODY: NON-REACTIVE

CUT OFF VALUE:       1.0
PATIENTS INDEX VALUE:  0.46
                                                 I want to know what these results mean? And also what is my hcv status.
Please tell me what I have  and what I haven't.
                                          Thanks!!
Your question is better answered by the Hep C group.