Antibodies
I recently gave blood and just received a letter saying that tests indicate the presence of antibodies for the Hepatitis B virus.

The letter stresses that I am not infected with any viruses and that I am in good health, but that I should not give blood any more. Since I only became involved with a woman about three months ago (after several years of abstinence,)and had given blood many times before, is it possible that I have somehow acquired/created some of these antibodies without showing any symptoms? I do plan to ask the person if she has ever had the disease however.

Thank you,

P.
Read the letter you received better.  You need to get a hbv rna test.  Hep B is transmitted readily through sex.  Be careful.  Your friend may not even know she is infected with hep b.  You both need to go to the doctor and get the proper work ups.
Hello Katch20,

Thank you for your response.

Here is the text:
...
"Please be assured, you are in good health. This information affects your status as a blood donor.
....
The first lab test is called a screening test and, if the bllod sample reacts to this test, a second, more accurate confirmatory test is performed.

This test for the Hepatitis B virus does not suggest that you are currently infected with the Hepatitis B virus. However, additional tests indicate the presence of antibodies for the Hepatitis B virus, suggesting that you may have been infected with the hepatitis B virus in the past without your knowledge.

If this is the case, the presence of these antibodies and the absence of the virus in your blood suggest that you have fought the infection and that you are now cured. All other test results carried out on your blood donation were normal which means that you are not infected with any viruses."

P
Consider yourself one lucky devil.  It seems as though you are fine, with no need to worry about transmitting this.  Take care.
check out the liver website:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/b/Bserology.htm
Since you were tested at other times (fairly recently) and never got such a letter, you must have become infected and fought it off since your last blood donation.  I dont know for sure, I am speculating. The Hep stuff boggles the mind...for instance, I was checked for the Hep B antibody yrs ago after getting stuck by a needle at work.  It came back negative (although I had Hepatitis of some sort twice, years before that). So they vaccinated me with the 3 shots.  Now years later, the doc ck'd me again for all 3 types of Hep and it showed no antibodies to A or B  but yes for Hep C.  You would think I would have antibodies to B after being vaccinated for it wouldnt you?  Blows my lil mind!  I hope you can find out more, and your partner is not the kind to take offense..."no, YOU gave it to me etc" - best of luck to you in that regard.  
Thank you both. Your responses mean more to me than you'll ever know!

I have given blood many times over the years including earlier this year and never received any notices. This letter came out of the blue and it raised all sorts of questions in my mind especially since I only just got back on the dating scene since my wife left four years ago.

I plan to contact my doctor when he comes back from vacation but I really needed some information/support so I was very happy when I found this site.

My sincere thanks,

P
AH...I just answered this question above.

Erin
After donating blood in 1999 I got a letter saying that I had antiboties to the  Hep C viris. I went to my family doctor and he said that I had antibodies only and not to worry about it. End of story. & months later when I went back to another doctor for a pregnancy test, they told me not only did I have antibodies but full blown Hep C, and could not be treated for it while I was pregnant. So the moral of this story is since you did get that letter I would go in for a complete blood work from your doctor to be sure. Good Luck and god bless.
Thank you, everyone.

I did not sleep well last night because I am still coming to terms with this new development??

I will make an appointment with my doctor to follow up as was suggested.

There is a cold wind blowing, and I can feel the chill....

Kind regards,

P
When you click on this sites "Archives" It pops up with HepA HepB and HepC etc...Click on Heb B  and you can read some interesting stuff about it, although from a cpl yrs ago, still good info.
Hello oldhippychick67,

I only just got back afetr a rather reflective weekend. Thank you for the link, it has answered many of my questions.

Kind regards,

P