I’m CHB carriers since birth still EAG+ve after 2 ifn course (last one with TDF and then IFN add on).
Latest biopsy in 2007 showed a METAVIR 0-1 rank, normal liver almost no Fibrosis at all. Docs decided to stop tx (after 14month on TDF+ IFN) as no decrease at all in HBSAG quantity. Now we wait and see if flares occur on follow up and hopefully eag seroconversion and SVR.
We’re scheduling a further biopsy in the next year.. I asked for Fibrsocan but was told biopsy is more reliable in my case as in order te a reliable result on Fibroscna we need normal ALT/AST for 8/10 months at least.. Which seems quite unlike in my condition (alt above UNL).
Please comment on this as Fibsrocan woul be preferred to me..
I am not a doctor. The purpose of treatment is not to lower HBsAg, but to lower hbvdna and normalize ALT. If these have been achieved with your treatments, then it is likely liver disease progression will be minimal and fibrosis will not advance and should regress. So I have difficulty in understanding why another biopsy is necessary A baseline biopsy is helpful because there is no previous history, so the state of the liver is often unknown and when treatment with Interferon is considered then it is prudent to make sure that liver is no cirrhotic before starting Interferon treatment.
I would ask the doctor what is the purpose of another biopsy It is true that a high ALT will increase the Fibroscan score as the liver is inflamed. But your biopsy/Fibroscan is scheduled for next year.
biopsy may read f0-f1 fibrosis better but only regarding the sample they take, nobody can predict if the sample is the same as the whole liver but
if alt s higher than 200 the doctors are right to use biopsy instead fibroscan
maybe the new fibroscan+ultrasound machine, which i dont remember the name, will solve this problem
i also agree that in your case therapy is useless, we can see very clear the difference between corrupt doctors in other countries and italian doctors, our point is cure hbv or cure a damaged liver and not sell antivirals, fibroscan or biopsy will tell if antivirals will ever be necessary since most never develop damaged liver despite active hbv
I think sequential PEG and TDF is better than together.
it s the opposite to be good tdf then peg add on, grmr actually had the worst combination, started with pegintf and added tdf when pegintf response started, so the little immune response started by peg was abolished by tdf
so it is known we rescue hbv cd8 response by potent antivirals tdf or etv and then add on pegintf to rescue nk and nkt cells too....i have no idea why the opposite in this combination does not work
sorry forgot what was wrong, it was the few weeks time to be wrong then
ideally we need a marker to show us when pegintf add on is ok, i noticed they added ip10 on the trials i guess tey are checking if ip10 can be a good marker for pegintf add on.1-2 years of hbvdna und must be the minimum, trials are requiring a minimum of 12 months for now
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.