Hepatitis B Community
Can I try Alinia

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Can I try Alinia

Hi Stefano170669 and All,

I'm 27 years old male from India. Please interpret my Reports and kindly tell me whether I can Start off with Alinia (Nizonide500 from Lupin  ) at this stage.

July-2009 Report

Hbs-Ag - Positive

Hbe AG - Negative

SGOT - 36.0 ( Normal : 5 to 35 IU/L )

SGPT - 24.0 (Normal : 0 to 40 IU/L)

HBV Quantitative PCR - 9,750 copiles/ml

Feb-2010 Report

Hbe AG - Negative

SGOT - 25.0 ( Normal : 5 to 35 IU/L )

SGPT - 29.0 (Normal : 0 to 40 IU/L)

HBV Quantitative PCR - 3800 copiles/ml ( 537 IU/ml)

November - 2010 Report

Hbs Ag - Positive
Hbe Ag - Negative
BILIRUBIN -DIRECT PHOTOMETRY = 0.20 mg/dL ( 0 - 0.3 )
BILIRUBIN - TOTAL PHOTOMETRY =  0.65 mg/dL ( 0 - 1.2 )
BILIRUBIN (INDIRECT) CALCULATED = 0.45 mg/dL ( 0 - 0.9 )
ASPARTATE AMINOTRANSFERASE (SGOT )PHOTOMETRY= 23.60 u/L (M: 0 to 37 - F: 0 to 31)
ALANINE TRANSAMINASE (SGPT) PHOTOMETRY= 33.60 u/L (M: 0 to 37 - F: 0 to 31)
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE PHOTOMETRY  = 92.70 U/l (M:53 to 128 - F:42 to 98)
GAMMA GLUTAMYL TRANSFERASE (GGT)PHOTOMETRY = 13.00 u/L (M: 0 to 50 - F :0 to 30)
PROTEIN - TOTAL PHOTOMETRY = 7.96 g/dL ( 6.0 - 8.3 )
ALBUMIN - SERUM PHOTOMETRY = 4.34 g/dL ( 3.2 - 5.0 )
SERUM ALBUMIN/GLOBULIN RATIO CALCULATED = 1.20 RATIO ( 0.9 - 2.0 )

HBV Real Time Quantitative PCR - 9650  Copies/mL

I was taking Liv 52 Tablets at this time (from July 2009 to Feb 2010 ) and I stopped after that . So again HBV DNA got increased .

My Questions to Stefano and All,

1) Kindly tell me whether Alinia can help me in this situation? In India only nizonide 500 mg and nitarid 500mg (Cipla) is available. As  told earlier by Stefano I'm planning to start off with Nizonide 500mg (Lupin pharmacy)  - 2 tablets daily.

2) Is there recent news about Alinia . Anyone got cured by taking Alinia recently . Kindly share if you have any link/ reports.

3) By taking Nizonide for long term will results in side any side affects like damage to Kidney .

I Know that I'm disturbing you people a lot and I apologize for that . Also I will post all my improvements hereafter .

Thanks all .

3 pills not enough, after 7hrs the level of drug in the blood is so low that it makes no effect.3 or 4 pills with food are necessary, in case you get diarrea (diarrhea) that doesn t stop itself take probiotics or start probiotics 1-2 days before starting alinia
in the first month i started with 3pills one week and 2 the other and slowly increased to 4 pills, 2 pills only had no effect at all

we started in april and it is too eraly to eradicate hbv, those who took more than 2 pills got hbsag decline, those on 2 pills have got no results that i know of

no no damage at all, my sister had creatinine decrease on the 2g dose but in anycase just check creatinine baseline and then every 3-4 months
i had an increase within normal limits with no deacrease of kidneys function when i took vitamin D while it got back lower than baseline at vit D discontinuation

the only sides are mild diarrea (diarrhea) because alinia kills healthy bacteria in your stomach too, so if you experience any take probiotics.
my sister didn t have any difference while i have normal stools 2-3 times a day liquid

the best combo therapy is interferon+alinia like for hcv but i'd try at least one year with alinia monotherapy

do you have access to hbsag quantification by abbott architect in your country?hbvdna is not reliable to see if alinia is working because it acts mainly on hbsag
of course if you get any improvement on hbsag decline let us know

alt, hbvdna are not reliable to see effect, only hbsag is.alt can rise a little at start
2) Is there recent news about Alinia . Anyone got cured by taking Alinia recently . Kindly share if you have any link/ reports

be aware that alinia has a meaning as a combination therapy with interferon or entecavir or tenofovir.
Although we have seen from very small pilot studies that it worked as monotherapy on hbe negative by one year of continuous tharapy making 2 hbsag negative and 7 hbvdna und on a total of 8 patients, i think it needs combo therapy to eradicate hbsag in a higher number.In anycase a try of one year wouldn t harm and also hbvdna und is a good goal of therapy since you will have very mild sides from this and no resistance issues
Hi Stefanno,

I fear that we don't have access hbsag quantification by abbott architect in India. Can i rely on HbsAg quantification - Elisa and HBV PCR Quantitative tests while taking Nizonide

I bought Nizonide 500mg (Lupin pharmacy)   and it costs around 90 INR (10 tablets) and planningto start off from coming Monday.
Can i rely on HbsAg quantification - Elisa
no

HBV PCR Quantitative tests
yes.of course if ntz makes hbvdna und it is working for sure but you may also have no change in hbvdna and change in hbsag only
try 12 months of ntz and then check hbsag elisa and antibody hbsab, from the small trials it took 1.2 years for some to clear

remember to take probiotics if diarrea (diarrhea) develops and doesn t get away itself.yellow unrine or eyes is normal and nothing to worry about, nothing clinically relevant
Thanks Stefano for your reply. Thanks alot
hi bro:) to buy nizonide 500 have they asked u any prescription.? i little confused on that price. ihave seen in a website drugsupdate.com the price is around 500 rs. u just check it out. then y did u stopped taking liv52.?
Hi Stefano,

Any new updates on Alinia ? I have been taking Nizonide 500mg - 3 tablets per day since Dec,20th. facing back pain and  leg pain after that? Is it due to Nizonide?

Kindly update if there any news on alinia?
facing back pain and  leg pain after that?

no impossible to be due to ntz, just check creatinine for 100% security

i will know my hbsag level of dec 2nd tomorrow and will post next week since i will be out of home until sat

any sides like diarrea (diarrhea) or stomach pain?

i'd check hbsag level baseline and then after 3 months if you have it available
what do u think about this? is it false?

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/hepb.htm
Hi stefano,

I don't have any sides like diarrhea or stomach pain. Having mild headache and leg pain,

hi,
have you checked yr hbsag level.
any side effects of using alinia
Having mild headache and leg pain,

not related to alinia, try omega3 fish oil and vitamin d supplements.it is also very important that you have vit d levels at 50-60ng/ml because alinia works activating immune system but if vit d level is low lymphos don t get activated

also eat 2-4 walnuts a day which will supply selenium 200-400mcg daily which is also needed for immune system to work better
How about Eastern Europe, what would be the price of Alinia and the name used over there?

alinia is not marketed in europe, they never ask for marketing.i guess eastern non EU countries are the same

for example in italy it is available in specialized hospitals ordered directly from romark since they are no resellers, i buy it in india or online on canadian pharmacies