Hepatitis B Community
Can Vaccination completely prevent Hepatitis B?
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can Vaccination completely prevent Hepatitis B?

Hi, my girlfriend was infected of Hepatitis B virus when she was very young, and a check a few years ago was still positive. I learned that I should get vaccinated before having sex and if we were to have a baby, he/she should be vaccinated right after birth as well. My question is, can vaccination completely prevent the virus for both the baby and me? Thank you.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
106666_tn?1254194511
The way I read your post is that your friend tested positive for HBV for antibodies only. That's because once a persons immune system fights off the virus successfully, the antibodies will always remain. The vaccination for HBV will prevent you from getting the virus, thus allowing your baby to be born without any problems. Your child will then need his/her own HBV Vaccination.
Blank
106666_tn?1254194511
Did your friend have a PCR specifically to determine infection??? Or just normal labs related to say a yearly physical??
Blank
181575_tn?1250202386
Those shots right after birth would give your baby a 95% chance of being free of  the HepB virus.

And if you are HepB negative and are not immuned, get vaccinated.  If your HepB Surface antibodies becomes positive, then you achieved HepB immunity.

Your girlfriend should see MD for regular monitoring.  Take care and good luck.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis B Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...