Hepatitis B Community
Can i stop Viread when I'm pregnant

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Can i stop Viread when I'm pregnant

2 years ago I found out I have HBV and the viral load is very high as in billion , But my liver is normal. I found out I have that more and then10 years. I'm taking Viread to treated about a year and half become a very low load as <40 copis. I'm  very very want to have a baby now, I don't want any effect to the baby Can i stop Viread teartment for 10 months? and I'm a low income no insurance what kind the Doctor i can see and Who can help me? please give me some address and phone number please please

viread is taken to have babies and dont infect them with hbv, you dont have to stop it on the contrary women not taking viread have to start it if they get pregnant with high hbvdna

you can take viread during all pregnancy and also for breastfeeding, it makes no harm to the baby, many members here took it with no troubles

as to liver damage, most patients have no liver damage from hbv only those with a stronger immune system/hbv specific mutations have damage from hbv

if you want to stop it after delivery you must check hbsag quantity in iu/ml, if it is lower than 500iu/ml you can stop viread and have no hbvdna or damage, but if hbsag is higher it is dangerous to stop it.another way to stop it safely is interferon+viread for about 6-12 months but interferon is very expensive
You do not pass HBV to your child just by having HBV.  A mother normally passes it to the child during the birthing process because of her blood getting into the baby's eyes, mouth, etc.    

The most effective way to stop transmissions of HBV to your child is by doing two things:

1)  Give the newborn the first shot in  the series of three Hep B vaccinations.  This needs to be done within twelve hours of delivery. Complete the series at the scheduled intervals.

2) Give the newborn an injection of HBIG (Hep B immuno globulin).  This also needs to done within twelve hours of delivery.

If you do these two things your baby should be safe.  Make sure to tell your doctor and work with him/her to see that these things are done in the appropriate time windows and that monitoring is being done throughout to make sure the vaccine works.    

Also, there is a lot of helpful info. on this site regarding this topic. Try searching the forum using the word "baby" or "newborn" and you should be able to find a lot of information that can help.

All the best,
HOTH

the news about use of nucs on pregnant mothers is due to:
vaccine+hbig fails in more than 10% cases if hbvdna is high and hbeag positive, hbeag can get thru placenta so failure is thought to be due mainly to infection already present in the baby before delivery, anyway tenofovir is being used to make vaccine failure to 0%

it is also important to know that lamivudine use is very dangerous because of the mutants, same about telbivudine, these two drugs are recommended in some countries
entecavir is not recommened too, tenofovir is the only one with a safe track
Thanks for this added information. It is good to know. Everything I've read and even most of the posts here do not state this.  

Always learning,
HOTH
Thank you. that is helpful..
Thank you