Hepatitis B Community
Comment on URT post re: Workplace discrimination

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

I had to comment on a recent post by cajim in the Unofficial Research Thread about HBV work place discrimination in Asian Countries.  

While I’m sure that some of you already knew of the HBV discrimination going on in the workplace in Asia, I am new to all this and was shocked and saddened that this is allowed to take place.

I can now understand why so many people are reluctant to seek treatment for their condition. I would probably be scared to even get a routine check up or even go to the Dr. for a simple cold out of fear of someone finding out I have HBV.

Here are your choices Mr. Role Model Employee: Sit at home for 3 months and if you can prove you cleared the virus we MIGHT give you your job back…….and if you don’t, then you’re fired anyway and there is nothing you can do about it.
That’s just so wrong. It might be different if it was an air borne disease.

I hope the laws are re-written to be less vague and protect carriers from future discrimination.

Thanks for posting that cajim…….I had no idea a corporation would/could be allowed to get away with that even though I know laws are different for different countries.
By comparison, the West is so much more enlightened: we know HBV can be vaccinated against, we know HBV cannot be easily transmitted by casual contact, we know adults once exposed to HBV have 95% chance to clear it and become immune for life, indeed it is not easy to get HBV even if you want to as long as you do not go out of your way to contract HBV: not practicing basic personal hygene, getting into drugs and sharing needles, having sex with people you don't know, having weird sexual practices, etc. etc.
hi Nashpred, I’m from Philippines what you have commented is true specially this one, >>> "Here are your choices Mr. Role Model Employee: Sit at home for 3 months and if you can prove you cleared the virus we MIGHT give you your job back…….and if you don’t, then you’re fired anyway and there is nothing you can do about it.
That’s just so wrong. It might be different if it was an air borne disease. <<<< well this is what is happening to us right now at this very moment, my wife’s’ boss is forcing her to resign because they have tested and found out that she has HBV, but my wife’s work does not have anything to do with HBV, what I mean is my wife can’t transmit the virus by just doing a clerical work. Now my work is also in jeopardy because of this issue given that we both work in the same company.

To all readers, if all companies will behave like my wife’s boss, what will happen to people like us? My wife didn’t want this to happen; she got it from her parents. Are this people going to isolate people with HBV and demoralize themas long as they want, how can they live if no company/employer that will accept them. How cruel!!!!

I am hoping also that we will have a Law against this kind of actions/behavior (discrimination).
Agree: discrimination is cruel.

Are HBVers willing to do whatever it takes to clear HBV and thereby the discrimination?  My feeling is no.
I am so sorry to hear about what you and your wife are having to deal with.

I guess people fear what they don’t understand. It is unfortunate that so many people are uneducated about this disease. Their fears could be put at ease with just a little education…..especially in this day and age with effective vaccines available.

I’m not sure if there are any laws in the Philippines to help prevent this kind of discrimination or what would happen if she refused to resign. Would they then be forced to fire her and then she could collect unemployment pay if it is available in the Philippines? I don’t know.

Wishing the best for you and your family.
I work for a retail store in Mesquite, Tx and the various forms of discriminations that happens there is unbelievable. This company has a history for being sued sucessfully for every form of discrimination covered by EEOC and I don't know what to do.  When I first started to work there the workplace was segregated and white people are promoted with out even applying for a position-other words they are selected and given positions with allowing anyone else to apply.  Also they rate you low to avoid giving out raises to certain people.  So I will be sharing things as they unfold for others to share their thoughts.